Shame and Glory

Keeping it going! Dyson Logos #Dicember2021

Honor, Bushido, Law/Chaos, Good/Evil, Paragon/Renegade, Light Side/Dark Side, Sanity - it comes in a million flavors but it all boils down to the same thing. Actions have consequences (and not all consequences are bad). I have never seen it particularly well mechanized in a TTRPG.

I'm really back and forth on whether I want that in my game. Really it comes down to three categories of this type of "Consequence Tracking."

Cosmic Warping: Good/Evil/Law/Chaos is a real tangible thing that can manifest and warp the "real world" in noticeable ways. Examples: Star Wars (Jedi/Sith), Dark Sun (Preservers/Defilers), Call of Cthulhu (Sanity)

Social Perception: This is a reflection of how the character is perceived by those around them. Examples: Legend of the Five Rings, Pendragon

Flavor/Static: I made a category as a catch all for systems that have it, but don't really USE it. In these it is usually used as classification tool rather than a dynamic influence on the world. Example: D&D Alignment

I like #1 and #2, but when broken out like that I don't really think they would be the same mechanic. For the purpose of the prompt (SHAME) I'm going to lean into #2 with a quick hitting idea I might refine later.

The idea I really like that seems light on DM book keeping is the same way that Fallout tracks relationships with factions. Helping a faction will give GLORY which will give positive modifiers to reaction rolls and loyalty rolls with people from that faction. Working against a faction will provide Shame which gives negative modifiers to reaction rolls and loyalty modifiers.

I think this needs more work, but it is a starting point. Also, putting a pin in "Cosmic Warping" to revisit that one at a later date.

 

Keep on the Borderlands Play Report 1

Quite a while ago I had started Keep on the Borderlands with my kids and we made it through the goblin section before trailing off. Since th...